Hi, all. I’m really excited to announce that 2013 will see the publication of The Illuminerdy’s first book. This project, an anthology of scenarios, adventures, essays, and more is tentatively titled Adventure Begins at Bedtime: Tales from Beneath the Blankies.
This collection of awesome stuff is inspired, in large part, by my son, Archer, and how reading him bedtime stories has reignited my love of gaming. There’s something special about a child’s sense of wonder that feeds fantastic stories. The adventures that a child takes at bedtime are the kinds of adventures that, as gamers, are the ones we ought to cherish most. The absolute suspension of disbelief, the wide-eyed buy-in, the willful inability to question where the story is taking you? That’s the kind of thing that breeds unforgettable time at the game table.
And that’s exactly what I want to capture in this book.
As mentioned above, the book will contain adventures and scenarios – for a number of systems – inspired by bedtime stories. There will be some stuff for kids and some stuff that is for adults. My own contribution, for example, is a Dread scenario inspired by Where the Wild Things Are that will take the story in a more murderous direction.
The book will contain advice. Advice about storytelling at the game table, as well as your child’s bedside.
The book will contain art. I hope the kind of art that wraps your brain in fantasy and whimsy and danger and adventure.
As of this morning, the list of people contributing is pretty great and I’ll get you those details soon… but there’s room for more. Which is why I want your pitches.
So, what do I want to see?
- Scenarios and Adventures: Have an idea for an adventure/scenario that’s inspired by your favorite childhood story? I want to hear about it.
- Essays: Think you’ve got an awesome observation about how childhood stories affected how you game? What about how your parenting experiences affected how you tell stories at the game table? I want to know hear how this topic inspires YOU.
- Short games: Have an idea for a cool way to play a storytelling game at bedtime with your kids? I want to hear it.
- Art: Have a vision for a piece of art to feature in the book? I want to hear about it.
- Time: Does this idea excite you, but you’re not a writer, game designer, or artist? Let me know. This is going to be a massive undertaking and I’m going to need some reliable volunteers to help – especially once we start work on the Kickstarter. I want to hear from you!
To submit your ideas, please email me – elizabeth dot bauman at gmail – with the subject “Adventure Begins at Bedtime” before 1 February 2013. I ask that you take the time to really think about what you want to contribute before emailing me. The more thought you put in on this end, the more likely I am to want to include it in the book.
Important: If you’ve never written anything for an RPG product before, I don’t care even a little. Please send me your idea. I want this to be a place to grow as a hobby and a community.
I’m really excited to go on this adventure with all of you. Check back often for updates!